Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The Alexander Family is Making Memories Once Again!

A Note from Mary Beth:

It was nice to be home together as a family for Easter. Bruce was too tired to go to Easter Service and stayed home for much needed rest. He did find just enough energy that night to make it to Amah and Poppy’s favorite restaurant, King Tin, for a nice bowl of wonton noodle soup! A great first weekend home after his 2nd round of treatment.

Bruce feels a bit better each day and the IL2 side affects are less evident everyday. The mornings have been difficult (fatigue and nausea), but little by little he is regaining energy, strength and appetite! He is following Dr’s orders and getting out for daily walks, lifting light weights, resting when he needs to (a couple naps a day, usually), and being as active as possible.

He was outside on Sat doing yard work and playing casually with the boys and other neighborhood kids for 4 hours. He was so excited to have lasted that long . . . and then took a huge 2 hour nap!

He is thrilled to be able to drive again . . . me too! We are taking one day at a time and look forward to four weeks of no treatments.

VACATION BOUND!

It feels so much like a vacation for Bruce that we decided to go ahead and take one! We will be going to Palm Desert and staying in a friend’s condo. We love it there-warm, restful, casual and homey. We look forward to spending quality family time just swimming, golfing, hiking and just "chillin," as Pearce and Isaac would say. We will end our time at Disneyland with friends for 3 days (so much for being restful) and be home May 1st.

Bruce, MBA, Isaac, and Pearce will leave Apr 21st. Spencer and Mikaela will join us on April 24th . . . our teens' schedules are tough to line up with ours sometimes, but at least we all get to fly back together.

We are very excited to get this time away. Even more exciting:

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME OUR KIDS HAVE FLOWN IN AN AIRPLANE!!

Oh, the simple things in life!

This trip is possible because of the gracious gifts from family and friends. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to our “family vacation fund." It is an incredible blessing and we look forward to making great family memories.

Another update will be coming soon-with pics and more info on Bruce!

Thankful and Strengthened,
MBA for A Team

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Bruce and Mary Beth,

I just wanted you to know how often you come to mind and how much you are loved. Its great to hear you are headed on a road trip. I know you will have a great time.

Kelly & Lisa

Anonymous said...

Have a wonderful vacation!

rosepua said...

Woo-hoo! How totally cool is this! I am thrilled for all of you. Blessings in abundance. Love, love, MA

Anonymous said...

Hi Alexanders!
We're so glad to hear about the trip...what fun for everyone! Five years ago we spent time in So. Calif. We went to Disneyland and had a great time, but our favorite was Legoland, and Sea World came in a close second. If you get a chance, you might think about one of those places too!
Praying for continued strength and magnificent joy!
Lance and Lisa

Anonymous said...

Dear B & MB,

I come to this site often, and it brings me good cheer! I am thankful for the love you have -- and for the good friends who have provided the vacations and relaxation for you. I'm still praying. Blessings, Corliss

Anonymous said...

Bruce,
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am glad to hear that you are headed on a family vacation to California where the temps should be warm and the chances of rain limited. I hope you and your family have a fabulous time. I enjoyed your NY City slide show and look forward to your California slide show too.

Bruce, I miss seeing your smiling face at the office and I think about you often. If there is anything I can do for you, please do not hesitate to let me know.

SMR

Anonymous said...

So happy to hear you are getting away on a family vacation and making new memories! Sunshine, rest and being together do so much for the soul. All of you remain in our constant prayer. Keep up your determination Bruce! Enjoy the relaxation.
Love Carol and Bob

Anonymous said...

BLA,

Glad to hear your 2nd round of treatment went well. I have been keeping your family in my prayers.

I hope you and your family have a wonderful trip...I know you all will have a great time and loads of fun at Disneyland! We were there last November, and we can't wait to go back.

DAW

Anonymous said...

Bruce, Mary Beth and Family,
I am SO jealous!!! I LOVE Disneyland! After all, we spent half our honeymoon with 3 other couples that went with us there. I know - there's all kinds of bad stuff people may say about it, but not me. I guess it's the kid in me when I was a kid and there wasn't any bad stuff. One of my childhood best friends cousin is Walt Disney's niece. Pretty cool huh?! Have a great time and we will see you all soon. We have you in our thoughts and prayers constantly.
We love you all very much,
Karen for the Joiner's

Anonymous said...

We can hardly wait to see a picture of Bruce with his Mickey ears!! Hope your vacation is going great!! Soooo good to spend time with you both in P-town. Love, prayers, and strength to all of you!!
Diane T.