Sunday, February 17, 2008

HOME FROM THE HOSPITAL

Bruce was discharged from the hospital this afternoon and is home resting nicely in his recliner, remote in hand, watching his sports and nothing could be nicer!
I know everyone has questions and hopefully this will answer some of them:
**Bruce had a highly concentrated radiation treatment to one of the larger tumors in his brain on Tues evening at OHSU.
**By late Wed evening, his head ache became unbearable, began vomitting and became very disoriented. As I was calling 911 (sometime around 1am), Bruce had a small seizure, but came to well before the EMT's arrived. A neighbor came down to be with the kids as they were sleeping and I rode with Bruce in the emergency vehicle to Good Samaritan Hospital in Corvallis.
**Our Drs believe that these symptoms were a result of swelling in the brain due to the radiation treatment on Tues night along with the two weeks of full brain radiation and the slow tapering off of his steroids.
**Dr Fuss, the radiation oncologist at OHSU, was very surprised by this reaction. These symptoms are not unheard of, but very rare to have them as severely as Bruce did.
**Dr Neville, our primary oncologist, was very shocked and concerned at how sick Bruce was and was very aggressive in getting his pain and nausea under control.
**We will be in touch with Dr Fuss this week to discuss whether or not we will proceed with the last scheduled treatment (radiation on two smaller brain tumors) and what the risks/benefits are with whatever we decide.

~PLEASE PRAY FOR DISCERNMENT AND WISDOM~

**It has been wonderful to have my Mom and sister down here, once again, to care for the kids and provide stability and normalcy for them....wow, not sure they know what that is!! :)
**It was nice to have friends come visit and be with Bruce while I was able to get out of the hospital for small breaks. The brief get-a-ways, care packages and coffee deliveries were just what the doctor ordered for me!!
**Words cannot described what it is like to be home....heavenly seems to fit!!
**We are now focusing on rest and recovery for Bruce and regrouping as a family and getting back to normal....whatever that looks like for now!

Once again, thank you to everyone for your prayers, support, and love for Bruce and our family. We are truly blessed.

Love,
The Alexanders!

9 comments:

Carol Ann Weaver said...

WOOHOO! We are so happy you are home and resting. :)

Praying for wisdom and discernment and good family time.

rosepua said...

Very good, MBA. Great help with your words. Blessing you with double love, MA

Anonymous said...

It is so great that your mother & sister are here for you. I am so glad that Bruce is home and the pain is under control.

Praying for Wisdom and guidance for you and the family.

Katherine

Anonymous said...

We are so happy you are back home with your family Bruce! Stephen especially has been worried about you and wanting to come here for updates. He was relieved to see good news! We continue to pray for you and think of you constantly. The girls have you in their evening prayers. Please let us know if there are any other ways we can help.
Connie for the Kykers.

Anonymous said...

Lovin' you guys! Am praying for more complete recovery, and YES, for wisdom, discernment, peace of mind body and spirit. That the Lord would guide and direct the docs all through this process and that they would all be in good communication and do what is best for each situation that arises. So glad that you can all be home. Praise God for good help.
Love to you all,
Jeanne and the gang

Anonymous said...

Rosemary shared this with me, and now I share it with you:

Step by Step

He does not lead me year by year, nor even day by day,
But step by step my path unfolds; My Lord directs my way.

Tomorrow's plans I do not know, I only know this minute;
But He will say "This is the way, by faith now walk ye in it."

And I am glad that it is so. Today's enough to bear;
And when tomorrow comes, His grace shall far exceed its care.

What need to worry then, or fret? The God who gave His Son
Holds all my moments in His hand and gives them one by one.

By Ryberg

Home sweet home ... I'm so thrilled that you are resting and recovering at home with your loving family.

Praying daily for you.

KLG

Alicia said...

Hello Mary Beth and Family....

I just heard about your family trials...I don't believe my church is praying for you guys. I know you've come to VBS at North Albany, and I have enjoyed having your son in my class (what a sweet spirit). We've never hung out together, but I have enjoyed visiting with both of you when we have run into each other at homeschool events and VBS. I will be praying and I know my homegroup and church will now too!

Many Blessings for a speedy recovery!! - Alicia

Anonymous said...

Your family and the both of you are prayed for daily. It has been a long time since I have seen you both. Keep the faith!!! See ya big guy....Grace

Anonymous said...

I am thinking of you and your family. Sending so many wishes for comfort and guidance.

Angie Greenwood