Saturday, May 10, 2008

A Bruce story - "Washing My Wheels"

MBA's brother Mike shared a Bruce story that belongs on the blog...

The weekend before Bruce entered the hospital, brothers Matt and Mike came down to organize the Alexanders' garage. While doing this task, Mike had a strong desire to serve Bruce in a special way; he wanted to wash Bruce's feet. He shared this desire with MBA, who said there would be time for him to do this before the two brothers left for WA. As life typically is in the Alexander home, a lot goes on and it turned out Mike would have to wait for another day to carry out his service to Bruce.

The day Matt and Mike said goodbye, Mike asked, "Where is Bruce?" They found him outside washing Mike's tires with a brush! Mike immediately asked MaryBeth if she had said anything to Bruce about him wanting to wash Bruce's feet. She hadn't said a word.

When Mike asked Bruce what he was doing Bruce said, "You have new tires; they should have washed the wheels for you. I will wash them for you."

As hard as Mike tried to keep Bruce from washing the tires, then tried to join Bruce in washing them, Bruce insisted he wash Mike's tires alone... Can you imagine Mike's astonishment in this selfless act by Bruce? This happened two days before Bruce entered the hospital for the last time... Wow!

Mike did get to wash Bruce's feet, though, the night before Bruce passed away. He told Bruce, "You can't get away from me now, Brother. I'm gonna wash your wheels." What a precious memory for him to hold.

Blessings in abundance.
~Melinda

5 comments:

Doug said...

What a great demonstration of how Jesus served His disciples. Bruce was a true "doer" of the word!

doug

Anonymous said...

I started to read this story at work, when the tears began streaming down my face, I knew I couldn't finish it. Bruce was a truly amazing man. I'm so glad that his brother was able to wash his wheels!
I just know he is up in heaven looking down on all his family and friends. Perhaps he is sending the sunshine our way this week, to let everyone know he made it home!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful story...thanks for sharing it with us!
Lisa P.

Unknown said...

What an inspiration for all of us to serve and to love. Jesus said it, Jesus did it ... "Just Do it!" It's that simple. Hmmm . . . simple, profound, powerful beyond measure ... and yet I struggle. I pray that the inspiration will be beyond feelings and into the doing for me.

ConnieK said...

Mary Beth, I came to say we are still thinking of you and praying for your family. I didn't expect to be blessed by such a great story! I think you could compile all the great stories from everyone and write a very inspirational book!
Connie