Thursday, July 10, 2008

MOUNT HERMON

Greetings from Mount Hermon! I haven't been able to post because of some computer problems, so I am in the Graphics Dept Office using a coworkers computer while Spencer is frantically editing this weeks DVD....shhh, don't tell anyone!
Quick Update:
Got here Sat afternoon, ate dinner with Spencer, attended the concert here on the grounds. The group, Christian Edition, is an amazing men's singing group and I couldn't help but think how much Bruce would have loved hearing them sing! I will post their website soon. I have a funny story about me and the boys meeting Keith, one of the singers, but don't have time right now...Spencer's coworker, Andy, might come back soon!

Sun was the 1st official day of Family Camp. The kid's friends from past years showed up and the fun began for them. The only time I really see my children is very quickly at meal time, at bedtime and when they want money for the fountain...the place to get drinks and snacks!

Luis Pulau and Bill Odelmon (not sure of correct spelling) are the speakers. Bill is sharing on Job and Luis is sharing on Joshua. Job, of course, was one of Bruce's favorite books of the Bible, especially this past year, so it has been extremely difficult but equally encouraging. Luis's message was all about The Promised Land....again, difficult, but so hopeful! More later on that!

We can never really go anywhere for any length of time without an Alexander Adventure....this trip is no exception. On Tues afternoon, Spencer texted me and told me that his gum and wisdom tooth hurt really bad and that he could not open his mouth. So, after numerous phone calls and a referral from the office manager, I took Spencer to Dr Stevens, just 5 minutes away, and within an hour and a half, Spencer was x-rayed, numbed, numbed some more and his tooth was extracted. He moved out of his dorm, into our cozy room, and with lots of ice, ibuprofen, a small dose of vicadin and a little mother's TLC, he rested and recovered for a few days and is back at work. So much for coming to camp and getting a small break from motherhood!! But what a treat for me to have the opportunity to mother my 19 year old....and I think he was kinda glad I was here to take care of him. Now, the real question is, how will this DVD turn out with Spencer on vicadin? I'll keep you posted on that also!

Well, I'm sure Andy will be arriving soon, so I need to end this quickly. Basically, in a nut shell, it has been very sad to be here without Bruce, it has been a joy to see my children having so much fun with their old and new friends, I have been deeply moved by the teachings and the music, I have experienced incredible fellowship with other single parents, I have been graciously received and enveloped by my returning friends and their families and I have been reminded once again that God is good, He is in control, He can be trusted and that He is good....ALWAYS!! It has been a full time here all ready...and we still have another full day on Friday before ending on Saturday morning!
I will do my best to sneak in to the office again and post once more before we have to leave....or before they kick us out!
Love,
MBA
DELIGHT YOURSELF IN THE LORD AND HE WILL GIVE YOU THE DESIRES OF YOUR HEART!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for making the effort to post, Mary Beth! I've thought about you a lot this week and the emotional ups and downs of being at that special place filled with family memories.

Glad you could be there to take care of Spencer. There's no one like mom when you're hurting.

Have a good trip home -

Karen B.

rosepua said...

Wow! Awesome to get an update, MBA. Thanks so much for taking time to fill us in with quick and honest info. Praying, and love, love, MA

Anonymous said...

Hi this is Jojo Cayetano, Joshua’s father. We met at Mount Herman Camp this week (7-12 July 2008). It appears I found your blog. I deeply moved by your writings…

“Many Christians can readily identify with David’s lament, “No one is concern for me… no cares for my life (Psalms 142:4). We are so busy, absorbed in our responsibilities and insulated from one another. We pass like ships in the night, uttering a friendly but empty. Hi how are you doing? And hearing an equally shallow response, Oh fine how are you?” Until our family’s first Mount Hermon Family Camp experience.

Job’s reply reminded me of my harsh reply to my mother one time we had a heated argument. I told her “I did not ask to be born, it was not my choice.” It was foolish response coming from a selfish and foolish kid. At that time it seemed to me that my parent made a mistake and maybe Job felt the same thing. Did God make a mistake in creating Job or me? God does not make any mistake … He is good all the time! I am reminded of Psalm 139, Jeremiah 1:5 and Jeremiah 29:11. My mother gave me a letter on Feb 3, my 22nd birthday and little did I know that it will be her last one. She passed a month later.

Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

Bro Luis Palau’s series on Job and how the Israelites wasted 40 years to get to the promised land inspired me to put my life in order for the ministry and to get my priorities straight. – This one reminds me of a book written by John Piper “Don’t waste your life”

I am hoping that my response to your blog paralleled J.I Packer definition of “sharing”. He said, “It is first a sharing with our fellow-believers the things God has made known to us about Himself, in hope that we may thus help them to know him better and so enrich their fellowship with Him”

There are 2 books I bought at the camp that I will read and re-read this year 1) Crisis Caring: Recovering the Meaning of True Fellowship by Jerry Bridges and Mastering Monday by John Becket – these 2 books (plus the B-I-B-L-E) I believe will help me bring back to spiritual shape.

We will always remember you and your family. Say hello to Isaac and Pierce for Joshua. You can email Patty at cohpattycayetano@yahoo.com or call her work at Church of the Highlands / Highlands Christian School at 650-873-4090

---Not sure if YouTube embedded object will work in here. click on link

http://www.fathersloveletter.com/fllpreviewlarge.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8kz2Vl76Lw&feature=related

Anonymous said...

Hi family! I hope you had a good time while you were away. I enjoyed my vacation but am looking forward to being in my own home and being with my family again. Drive carefully coming home, you are very precious to me.

Luv, Charlie

Anonymous said...

Hello Alexander family,

Keith Smith here, the first time Christian Edition singer you met @ Mt. Hermon.

This blog as difficul as it may have been or is at times is really a great idea and wonderfully done. I really enjoyed meeting all of you and this blog has been a blessing to me also as my father is close to passing on as well.

May God continue to be with your family as we look forward to His soon appearing.

Your brother in Christ,

Keith S.

P.S.
Thanks again for the ice cream :)